HBF is a private health insurance company based in Perth, Western Australia. HBF is Western Australia’s largest health insurance provider and also offers general insurance products including life insurance, car insurance, home insurance and travel insurance.
Make a health claim, update your personal or payment details, view your extras limits and usage and more in myHBF. It’s never been easier to manage your policies in the one place.
About the Hospital Benefit Fund (HBF)
The not-for-profit health fund was founded in 1941 and is today Western Australia leading health insurer. With over 75 years’ experience, HBF offers a variety of health insurance products, from basic budget plans to comprehensive protection.
HBF Health Insurance is one of Australia’s largest not-for-profit health funds. The fund is owned by its members, meaning any profits made from premiums received gets re-invested back into new or improved benefits for you. HBF serves more than a million members across Australia with Hospital and Extras policies you can mix and match to suit your lifestyle and budget.
Recent HBF health insurance changes
HBF has implemented the below Australian Government reforms:
- Standardised hospital categories: HBF has grouped all their private Hospital cover plans into four tiers: Gold, Silver, Bronze and Basic, each including a set number of clinical categories.
- Selected natural therapies are removed from Extras cover: HBF will no longer provide benefits for specific natural therapies, including aromatherapy, pilates, yoga, naturopathy and reflexology.
- Increased maximum Hospital excess levels: You can now choose an excess amount that meets your budget. The health fund offers you the choice of $250, $500 or $750 for singles and $1,000 to $1,500 for couples — generally, the higher your agreed excess, the lower your premium.
- Discounts for young Australians: Health funds may offer 18 to 29-year-olds up to 10% off their Hospital cover. However, HBF has chosen not to implement this discount.
- Travel and accommodation benefits for rural members: HBF is still deciding whether they’ll implement this change. HBF Hospital policies, however, cover the cost of accommodation and meals for loved ones staying with you, while you recover in hospital.
- Upgrading Mental Health cover: If your HBF in-hospital mental health treatment is not fully covered by your policy, you can now upgrade to a higher tier without serving a waiting period.
HBF Hospital cover
Hospital insurance provides benefits for in-hospital services as a private patient in a public or private hospital, generally covering the cost of accommodation and theatre fees. Contributions paid towards the costs of your hospital stay varies according to your chosen cover option: Basic, Bronze, Silver or Gold.
HBF has an extensive network of Member Plus Hospitals across Australia, which may minimise your out-of-pocket costs.
Important: Even when opting for a Member Plus Hospital, you may still need to pay an excess or a co-payment according to your policy option. You can generally select an excess of $250, $500 and $750 for a single policy.
How to make a claim?
After a Hospital procedure, the hospital will generally submit your expense statement directly to the HBF Health Insurer. You may be charged for any out-of-pocket expenses before you leave.
If your treatment is with an Extras HBF preferred provider, a dentist, optometrist or physio, for example, you will generally be able to claim on-the-spot through HICAPS.
HBF Health Insurance usually also offers access to alternative claiming methods such as through the myHBF online portal and the HBF Health app. Alternatively, you can visit your nearest HBF branch or claim via email.